Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Normal 50mm f/2 Planar T* ZM
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (rsphoto's email)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:27:36 -0700

Although I now shoot Leica R8 and 9, I previously shot a lot with the
Contax RX and RTSII.  The on-camera lens was always the Carl Zeiss
Planar 50/1.4.  Back then Carl Zeiss Germany and Japan used Schott
billets for their lens blanks.

Some of the some of the Japan-sourced lenses surpassed the German
lenses because the Japanese had bought the later (and better) Zeiss
grinding systems.

The 50/1.4 was to me a remarkable lens, never a problem, rivaled the
Leica equivalent of the day in most published lens tests, depending on
whose opinion one valued.

Pretty much the same reputation for the Contax G line.  I wonder if
the G lenses could be adapted to Leica M?  (For all I know there are
hundreds of threads on this topic on this and other forums).

I can't speak for - or against the more recent Contax branded glass.

Some grist for the mill.

Bob