Subject: [Leica] IMG: Black Bear
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:45:39 -0400 (EDT)

I visited Taylor Creek at Lake Tahoe today and found a Black bear hunting
salmon:

http://wildlightphoto.com/mammals/carnivores/blbear00.html

The Black Bear is large and powerful, and care should be taken when this
animal is nearby, but it is not as unpredictable as the larger and more
dangerous Grizzly Bear (which is no longer found in California).  The Black
Bear evolved at a time when several larger predators, such as Dire Wolf,
Saber-tooth Cat, and Grizzly Bear, would hunt this species so it still
thinks of itself as a prey animal.  Slow shutter speeds (dark fur and deep
shade!) made it difficult to photograph all of its activities but while I
watched the bear ate salmon and stream veggies.

Technical stuff: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO, shoulder stock & monopod.
f/6.8 for DOF, 1/90 sec.

All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento