Subject: [Leica] Nikon Scan problems
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:59:22 -0400

Nikon Scan 4 has started saving scans it makes with my Super Coolscan
LS-5000 as TIFF files even when JPEG is specified both as the default
file type under Preferences and in the dialog box that pops up when
setting up batch scans. I have repeatedly switched back and forth
between JPEG and TIFF as the file-type specification and nothing
changes. The file log correctly notes that the files were saved as
TIFF, despite what the dialog box says. Everything had been working
properly until today. I'm saving my scans as highest-quality JPEGs
because they take up only about 5% of the space that TIFF requires,
and when looking at full-screen representations of the same slide side-
by-side from JPEG and TIFF, I can't tell one from the other. So I
decided to save the space. Does anyone claim to be able to tell the
difference on screen or in print between maximum-quality JPEG and TIFF
or any other lossless-compressed format?

I have even downloaded a fresh copy of Nikon Scan 4 and installed in
on my Mac. I have downloaded and run (without protest) the v. 4.0.2
updater with no result?the "About" box for NS still tells me I'm
running v. 4.0.0.

I am completely flummoxed. Of course, customer support is closed over
the weekend. Any suggestions?

?howard

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] Nikon Scan problems)
Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] Nikon Scan problems)