Subject: [Leica] Nikon Scan problems
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 00:17:57 -0400

Thanks to everyone for your views and recommendations.

Tina made the point that a JPEG is not a fixed file once it's first
compressed. Every time it's manipulated, the process is applied again.
For files that one tinkers with again and again, there may be visible
deterioration.

Also the point that storage is cheap. Er, cheap, cheap, cheap. A TIFF
from my Epson V750 bulks about 70 MB, so 15 slides/GB is about what
I'd get, or 15,000 slides/TB. One more 1-TB HDD in my RAID and I'll be
able to store 30,000 slides. And that number would increase to about
70,000 by having the Mac OS apply lossless compression to the TIFF
file. Point made.

I'm convinced. I'll scan as TIFF and obey the maxim that Real
Photographers Do It RAW. But I still don't know why Nikon Scan doesn't
do what I tell it to do and what it says its's going to do, when it
used to do so.

And now another question: I'm finding that images I've obtained by
scanning with either the Epson or my Nikon Coolscan 5000 and uploaded
(from either of two computers) as JPEGs won't open in the Gallery. I
get a thumbnail, but clicking on it produces only a blank window. This
happens even when the (JPEG or TIFF) scanner file is "sanitized" by
being opened in Photoshop and saved as a JPEG. When I upload a photo
that came straight from the camera, rather than a scan file, it
behaves fine in the Gallery. The Epson is scanning in 24-bit color,
which I take to mean 8 bits/color, 24 bits for all 3, and the Nikon
says bit depth is 16 bits, presumably why the Nikon TIFF file is twice
as big as the Epson's. Don't think this relates to the Gallery
problem, which occurs with files from both scanners. Anyone had a
similar experience? I've uploaded scanned negatives before with no
problem.

?howard