Subject: [Leica] the ultimate digest Leica criticism thread
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 00:30:11 -0500

> I'm not sure I agree or disagree... I was just curious about why you
> and Frank were at each other's throats.  He's so... anti-Leica and
> you're so pro-Leica.
>
> I'm just a fatigued M8 user.  Having been through the whirl of
> filters, RF adjustment, coding, lens adjustments, a non-warranty
> sensor replacement, and then 10,000 exposures, I am approaching
> getting an M9 very, very carefully.  Things seem to be working ok now
> (or at least as well as they can), and I am very worried about
> beginning a horrific startup process like that anew.
>
> Maybe I should just wait for my M8 to die.
>
> Dante

The LUG was abuz with the seven or eight issues the M8 had when it came out
at least half of them were more than half resolved a year or so later.
The M9 has how many  issues?
Zero really this week. And zero next month is my guess.
The thing just works.
Instead of film you put a little card thingie in.

I'm the only one on the list who seems to have anything resembling an issue
with it.
The fact that its a super camera instead of when I think Leica is all about;
being a street camera. Its got an embarrassment of megapixels (too many) and
a little short on the kind of ISO's a street shooter in this day and age
might really like to have as options as they would in a top line Canon or
Nikon DSLR costing 3 or 4 grand usd.
Which is why their not suing the canon or nikon super cameras for street
shooting and photojournalism they're using their main stream top of the line
bodies.

But that's not stopping anybody that I'm aware of.

The M9 is not a first out grand experiment in new technologies like the M8
was.
Its a solid camera probably bug free.. And its going to be use by a lot of
talented and smart people. Who have 7 grand or know where to get it.

The m9 is a camera to make total use of the Leica glass you may spend many
thousands of dollars for or already have. You'd be able to see that money on
your wall in the form of a 17x22 inch print blazingly sharp if you have a
17" printer which are getting decidedly non rare.
And you 'd not be thinking "this print looks great but I wonder how much
better it would use if I'd pulled all the stops out and used the very best
glass and body instead?"

Instead of this blithering Pentax.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] the ultimate digest Leica criticism thread)