Subject: [Leica] Why the mad rush to use Canon or Nikon bodies?
From: dave_olson at operamail.com (Dave Olson)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 03:14:27 +0100

Is it because they are digital? To show you how slow I am, I thought the
R8.2 or the R 9 were digital. Or are they? Please accept my "stupidity".
Frankly I'm confused. I have two beautiful R6.2s and an R7. My 'M' setup is
nicely complete. My Canon AF is very complete too include a number of EOS
3s, EOS 1RSs and going back to the beginning, an RT. Of course all are film.
I have two pocket size Yashica T4, Carl Zeiss Tessar f3.5/35. One has a
waist level view finder. My digital consists of a Canon 40D and my little
Leica C luxe.  If I had a mad desire to shot digital I'm all set. My
feelings are film. In the trade journals you read where so and so
professional photographer has gone back to film for the properties it
conveys. For photojournalism, digital makes sense with tight deadlines. I
don't think H.C.B. ever had to worry about a deadline. For Capa and Douglas
bouncing around Spain,  then the German entry into Paris. D-Day on Normanday
beach. If you see real movie clips from the liberation of Paris. David
Douglas can be seen in the lead jeep shooting with a Leica. Around 1953 in a
rice patty no one remembers, in Indochine, Capa stepped on a mine. Brillance
lost in a flash. I'm not sure if what I'm talking about has anything to do
with digital, or even film. I know my personal feelings are film, and will
be as as long as I can hold a camera or fasten it to a mono or tripod.