Subject: [Leica] Why the mad rush to use Canon or Nikon bodies?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 01:51:58 -0500

> Is it because they are digital? To show you how slow I am, I thought the
> R8.2
> or the R 9 were digital. Or are they? Please accept my "stupidity". Frankly
> I'm confused. I have two beautiful R6.2s and an R7. My 'M' setup is nicely
> complete. My Canon AF is very complete too include a number of EOS 3s, EOS
> 1RSs and going back to the beginning, an RT. Of course all are film. I have
> two pocket size Yashica T4, Carl Zeiss Tessar f3.5/35. One has a waist
> level
> view finder. My digital consists of a Canon 40D and my little Leica C luxe.
> If I had a mad desire to shot digital I'm all set. My feelings are film. In
> the trade journals you read where so and so professional photographer has
> gone
> back to film for the properties it conveys. For photojournalism, digital
> makes
> sense with tight deadlines. I don't think H.C.B. ever had to worry about a
> deadline. For Capa and Douglas bouncing around Spain,  then the German
> entry
> into Paris. D-Day on Normanday beach. If you see real movie clips from
>   the liberation of Paris. David Douglas can be seen in the lead jeep
> shooting
> with a Leica. Around 1953 in a rice patty no one remembers, in Indochine,
> Capa
> stepped on a mine. Brillance lost in a flash. I'm not sure if what I'm
> talking
> about has anything to do with digital, or even film. I know my personal
> feelings are film, and will be as as long as I can hold a camera or fasten
> it
> to a mono or tripod.

I'd like to see some jpegs of your personal feelings on my screen here - got
a URL?.
My personal feelings have nothing to do with what cameras I use and
technologies.
This post would still work if it was written about 2.5 years ago.
The film jobs you see now are getting few to far between to non existent.
Now people shoot digital even if there are no tight deadlines or any
deadlines; people are interested in image making not nostalgia for past
technologies or camrea collecting. Does that mean "feelings".

Mark William Rabiner