Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hello from Pakistan
From: hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:11:08 +0500

Wendy - thank you.  Just like Spencer Cheng noted, Pindy is very
different from Islamabad.  Since Islamabad is a "new" and planned city
it has wide roads, and there is some sense of order.  Older areas like
Pindy or Rawalpindi are much older, with very narrow streets - there
have been may occasions I have been driven down these narrow streets
at speeds much higher than I feel is safe, given the people walking in
the road, kids darting all over the place, dogs, donkey cart, horse
carts, and narrow sidewalks.  I still wonder if we have hit people
from time to time.

Of course, in general, there are no such things as traffic lanes.
Whatever you can do to squeeze in, honk your horn and keep looking for
the opening.  I know people from Islamabad, who will not drive in
Pindy, on the other hand I have a friend from Pindy, who drives with
one hand, the other gesticulating wildly to convey the meaning of his
words, and apparently paying little attention to the traffic, but he,
like most others get by with a few scratches to their cars, I have not
seen any serious accidents, although one reads about them in the
newspaper.

Cheers

Hugh

Message from thurmanphoto at gmail.com (Wendy Thurman) ([Leica] IMG: Hello from Pakistan)