Subject: [Leica] dogwood berries
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 16:04:20 -0800

Sonny Carter asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] dogwood berries

> Yeah, so how come Steve don't have to focus his front flowers?
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW+2009/redflowers.jpg.html

Ok now, steady. ;-)

Don't go and get all weepy eye'd and petulant stamping yer feet! Be good
now, just git out in the yard and do yer home work! ;-) As he's in error
also! :-) Now feel better? ;-) Jeeeeesh kids these days!

Actually his error is "cropping" of this image as we see it! As he could've
tightend this up in shooting and used the one full bloom keeping it at
rougly the 1/3 position right side and bottom keeping the leaf area to the
left. But cutting off just about the top of this area before going into the
black of the back ground at the top. totally eliminating the out of focus
bloom.

Then down to the bottom of the same leaf area. It could have been shot in
this fashion first giving a larger image area to sensor and less cropping.

Or as we see here, he should've cropped down through the image almost due
centre eliminating the bulk of the image to the right!

The main focus of his photo is the one bright red flower and sort of leafy
area that could've been cropped or cropped out in the view finder before
going click! :-) Placing the bright red flower about the 1/3 position from
right side and from the bottom. Or close to that.

If I knew how to grab this photo, re-compose and send I'd do it and this
explanation would be a visual. :-) And much easier to see and understand!
;-)

And to make you feel better we'll re-assign Steve to re-shoot this if it's
possible as his home work! ;-)

I know how you young boys are when a critique kinda gits under yer skin, but
yu gotta do it right! Or how are you going to become a world famous picture
taker? ;-)

Some day you'll thank me for makin' yu do the back yard spin around left
handed at 1/8th or slower shutter speed.:-)

yer really old picture takin' teacher, :-)
Dr. ted :-)

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] dogwood berries)
Message from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] dogwood berries)