Subject: [Leica] A digital camera problem.......
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:23:52 -0800

So now I have this wonderful digital camera and I can see, within minutes,
the output from my camera on my Computer display.

So I decide to find out how good my lenses are, by comparison......  I
happen to have acquired, over time,  three 90 mm lenses.... An old Chrome
Elmarit, a small black Tele Elmarit, and a AA Summicron.  I know it is nuts
to carry around 3 lenses of the same FL, so I decide to find out if the
little T-E is good enough to do the job for me for our upcoming vacation...

So I take the 3 lenses outside and shoot some images for test.  At F2.8 and
again at F8.  Shutter speeds are pretty high ( 1/4000 at wide open, and
1/360 stopped down).  No camera shake issues there....

Wrong about the T-E.. and almost wrong again about the AA.  The cheap old
Elmarit is a fabulous lens, and hold its own against the more recent AA.
The T-E is by far the lowest performing.

Which is what I started to say about this digital world...... when you can
compare your lenses, you may get a fright that your old lenses perform as
well as they do, and your new multi thousand dollar lenses perform no
better.......

All because you can get instant feedback.....   It could become
addictive.....   What;s next?  My 2 50mm lenses and the 3E?  My 35mm Lenses?
135mm?

I may have a lot to sell off ......

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net