Subject: [Leica] Kyle's First Camera Project
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:10:45 -0800

Hey hey Crew!! :-)
This is a great idea! Well that is if you remember how to load a roll of
film in a 60 year old camera when yer an 80 year old fart complete with
memory bank failings??????????  :-)

Bought two rolls of ILFORD  XP2 film that can be processed with colour neg
C41 processing. This old camera does not have focusing ability..... didn't
seem to bother 60 years ago. :-) Probably didn't know any better! :-) There
are 4 shutter speeds 1/25 - 1/50 - 1/100 - 1/150th - B - T. You pick the
shutter speed you require and click down on a tiny lever on the side of the
lens to make exposure.

Apertures: f4.5 - f6.3 - f9 - f12.7 - f18. Strange combination? You move a
little leaver on front of lens.

Finally got the roll loaded, that was a bit of a chore as I forgot it
required pulling the re-wind knob out of the base plate, insert roll, push
knob back into camera body. When you advance film you have to push down on a
strange looking little button thingie on the top that releases the frame
counter. However I haven't been able to figure out how to turn counter wheel
around to start at zero. So it looks like I start shooting at what should be
Frame 25 according to film counter when it's really in the neighborhood of
2-3-4?

Now this is an easy fix I learned when I loaded my own cassettes longer than
the 36 frames because I had forgot the frame counter set to zero. I'd have
rolls with 50 frames, some with 30 so it was an easy fix.............. shoot
until the film couldn't be advanced, that meant you were at the end of the
roll. :-) It worked OK providing you didn't advance to firmly and pull the
film off the spool.... Then it was "Hello darkroom to remove film." OK so it
was only a few times! :-)

And the really big big mistake right off first few clicks?????????? Yep I've
already done it a couple of times................ I FORGOT TO ADVANCE THE
FILM AFTER THE EXPOSURE!!!"  :-(   Nothing like shooting with an M8 to
forget about that wee bit of action, so those frames might be rather
interesting species to look at! :-)

I think now that I've made most of the "ROOKIES ERRORS," maybe?? I may
venture out and see if I can find the odd photo moment in B&W without too
many double exposures. :-)

Last bit? You do become accustomed to having a quick peek at the back of a
digital camera once in awhile. Now? Film? Really old camera? Back to the
olden days? Damn! Now I have to shoot it, take the roll into store, wait for
processed negs, drive home, scan into computer before seeing the errors of
my ways! :-(

WISH ME LUCK! :-)  Thanks folks! :-)

Actually the daunting question is, even if I do everything pefect. I wont
have any idea whether the camera is actually working properly or not until
the film is developed! Oh the agonies of expectations!

cheers,
Dr. ted