Subject: [Leica] latest puts on Leica m9
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:00:27 -0500

> http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera/page161/page161.html
>
> Where do we stand at this moment?
> ......."The Leica M9 is a most delightful camera to use and even own. It
> does not convey that peculiar proud of ownership one feels when handling a
> film loading M model, but as a photographic tool it delivers sound
> performance.
> The characteristics of the M9 bring it close to the dslr competition
> without
> however blasting to the top. In this sense the M9 is the true successor of
> the M5, because that camera too left behind a few precious M features to
> add
> aspects that update the camera to the modern times.
> It is still too early to label the M9 as one of the very best or one of the
> great or one of the many excellent ones on the market.
> The current tendency to profile the M8 as a flawed toy and to profile the
> M9
> as one of the best digital cameras in the world is a bit myopic and
> disregards the many qualities of the M8 as a photographic tool. The IR bias
> can be put to good use when doing black and white photography in the wider
> sense of the word. The M8 is a more demanding camera than the M9 is and to
> get excellent results with the M8 asks for some additional determination.
> But even the M9 is not a fully mature product and needs some expertise to
> take great pictures.
> In the next part we will conclude this essay and offer some perspective on
> the role and position of the digital CRF in the current imaging world. "

The press relase for the M9 was exactly 2 months ago.
Its a bit too soon to tell where it all stands the state of the union for
the Leica m digital series.
By mid January the smoke will clear the dust will settle the prints will dry
And maybe the M9s in effect will be also released.
Most people who spent that nice chunk of cash on the M8 wont have to feel so
bad about it in hindsight because they'll be busy shooting gang busters with
the mature M9 series.

Frankly the M8 was a  huge leap for Leica. A first out. To invest in it a
leap of  faith which should have taken a bit of  raw nerve.
For it to have been a mature camera of classic proportions' was not overly
likely.
I'm glad my friends have made that investment and  used it to make great
images I wish I could have. Leica is alive muchly because of it and the
glass has kept its value.
And tomorrow is another day.

Mark William Rabiner