Subject: [Leica] Leica R lenses on Nikon digital cameras
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:19:45 +0800

What Frank describes as his operating procedures with preset lenses
from the 1960's does not represent what I do with my Nikon D700 and
Leica R lenses.
I set the camera to auto ISO (max 6400) and limit, in aperture
preferred, the low shutter speed to perhaps 1/250. Except for rare
scenes I tend to shoot wide open, and like Jim if I need to close down
the lens for more depth of field I do so as the shot is taken. I find
focussing both easy and accurate, especially with my 28 Elmarit, with
the Nikon focus confirmation working at full apertures. That was not
the case when I used the 28 on my now long gone Canon 5D. Leitax
bayonets may not be a solution for everyone - but for me it is a real
pleasure to be out and about using my R lenses which would otherwise
be moldering in the dry box.
Cheers
Howard