Subject: [Leica] Lou Reed, Now Salgado...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:57:17 -0500

> Thanks so much for this Kevin--very helpful. I, too, have experienced
> the totally irrational and "perversely capricious" security personnel,
> and they're a real pain. I think half the time they say no just
> because they can.
>
> I've been toying with the idea of creating negs from digital files and
> printing them and this will put me over the top. It sounds really
> intriguing, and I'm encouraged to read the prints are virtually
> indistinguishable from film neg prints. While I was in Germany I met
> another photographer on assignment for an NGO and he recommended
> "Silver Effects Pro" for adding grain and making digital files look
> like Tri-X, or any number of other films. I've been too busy to
> download it and try it out but I'll give it a try soon. If anyone has
> had success with Silver Effects or any other film replicating
> software, I'd love to hear about it.
>
> Thanks again for the post,
>
> Craig

To me if what I really thought was the pie in the sky look was Tri x I 'd
shoot Tri x. I've not thrown my film cameras away and they still make the
film.
But choose not to shoot tri x but SanDisk 8. That's the film I have in my
camera's now
I shoot digital not because I think its a convenient compromise but because
I like the look not just the workflo.
If I dint like the look I'd not shoot it.
The idea of trying to pass it off as tri x is beyond me. As is the idea of
trying to pass off anything as anything.
People who have intense guilt for working in digital should just not do it.
I have no film worship thing going on. I've moved on.

Mark William Rabiner