Subject: [Leica] IMG HCB apartment
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:12:37 -0000

Yes, it was a treat, Leo. Completely unexpected. I travelled over with a few
others from my camera club to take shots around Paris, visit some
photography museums, and have a nice meal or three.

Arrived on last Friday morning and went solo to Sothebys to attend their
auction of photography as I'm growing interested in collecting. Even though
the viewing was Tues, Weds, Thurs, and there was no viewing on the Fri, they
made allowances for my late arrival, and kindly showed me a few of the lots
I was particularly interested in.

The auction was an entertainment in itself and demonstrated that the
photography market is so hard to predict. Seven of the first fourteen lots
failed to sell and were withdrawn. However lot 15 - the second Atget, an
arrowroot vintage print of a nude woman kneeling on a bed with her posterior
prominently displayed - piqued the interest of the crowd. Bidding opened,
and to gathering tension in the room, a flurry of bids shot it up the price
ladder to reach an amazing 350,000 euros on a bid from the American dealer
beside me. A pregnant pause followed before a bid for 360,000 on the phone
knocked him out, and then a further pause, before yet another phone bidder
took the small 7 x 9 1/8 inch picture home for 370,000 euros. Well not quite
true, he/she had to pony up a further 74,750 euros in commission to
Sothebys!

I stayed to the end but was quickly outbid on what I was interested in. In
all, 92 of the 208 lots sold or a 44% hit rate. The rest of the stuff went
home again. There's a lot of learning in this collecting game!

Having taken various pics on the Saturday, and wandered around Paris, we had
an arrangement to go to the Henri Cartier-Bresson Foundation on the Sunday,
but as it opened later in the day, I went first to the Maison Europeenne de
la Photographie which opened at 11am. There I met a woman who told me about
the Paris Photo exhibition in the Louvre. To my embarrassment I didn't even
know it was on! She turned out to be involved with a support council for a
Californian museum and before I knew it, I was being propelled up to the
Louvre, ushered into the show, and then found myself in the VIP area being
introduced to a lot of familiar photography names!

After lunch, my mentor told me the group were going to Henri
Cartier-Bresson's apartment to meet his widow Martine Franck for tea and a
talk, and would I like to go along. The fastest "I'd be delighted" in
history followed and a short time later I found myself staring down at one
of the best views in Paris. I still can't really believe I was so lucky. The
only annoyance was I'd only brought my Rolleiflex Planar 2.8 and the winder
played up and jammed a lot, so, over the few days,  I used almost as many
rolls of film as I took pictures. To make matters worse, my little Olympus
SP320 started playing up too. So the pictures on the LUG site are not the
best. M3 the next time!

Douglas
_________
Douglas Barry