Subject: [Leica] Super-Wide suggestions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:55:49 -0500

> Comparing the Nikkor and CV 20 against the 14-24 is David vs Goliath.
>
> The Nikkor 14-24/2.8 is a great lens, but it's a beast compared to a fixed
> 20mm.
>
> What I would suggest is renting both 20's from www.lensrentals.com
>
> Of course we could add in the Zeiss 21/2.8 but then we're talking another
> $500-600.
>
> Chris

The 14-24/2.8 is is a "beast" not a compact Leica M lens.
But it is the wide angle solution widely practiced by a heck of a lot of
photographers lately. And a reason why some Canon shooters have some Nikon
gear. Or have gone Nikon.

People who have long forgone the use of zooms changed their minds with the
advent of wide and ultra wide zooms not that long ago. Certainly in my
lifetime.
They are the primo first choice of what goes on many a photographers camera
body.
Not so smart to discount them so quickly.
Zooming wide and in this case ultra wide is something most people don't get
over so quickly. With the results they get.

People get a D3 or a D700;
They want a 14-24/2.8 to go with it.
It may was well be superglued to the camrea.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from zoeica at mac.com (Chris Williams) ([Leica] Super-Wide suggestions)