Subject: [Leica] Staten Island ferry
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:53:00 -0500

Mark wrote:

It's free.
The Staten inland ferry.

The only down side is you end up in Staten island.
Not a key place to get some shots.  Not sure if there is a Gray's Papaya
there. That's where you get a hot dog.
Though I'm sure there's good stuff there if you knew where to look.

They made fun of it on Saturday Night live this weekend.
Staten Island.
- - - - -

Actually all you guys are right. The Staten Island ferry is free now. But
when I lived on Staten Island before the Verazzano bridge was built it cost
all of 5 cents. Staten Island was the first place I lived in New York. And
to be frank, the only place I could afford. A three room apartment with a
garage on Grimes Hill next to Wagner College cost me $128 a month. You old
time New Yorkers will know that this was a prestige location. A similar
apartment in Manhattan would have cost ten times as much, today perhaps 30
times as much. A few minute bus ride to the ferry terminal and then a half
hour sea voyage took me to my job in Gotham. Very relaxing on the way home.
I still have a relative or two in Staten Island but now it is getting very
developed. When I lived there it was just like a small town in Ohio. With
real farms. Moo.

Larry Z