Subject: [Leica] OT: Mac wannabees
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 07:31:10 +0000

There is always something which is a fashion for some, even if it is a boon
to others. When the walkman came out it was just the best thing that
happened for me. I was a music lover who travelled, my plane journeys were
never as bad again!
OTOH if you -like- gadgets there are a lot more genres now, when I was a
student there was just an audio system. I remember a guy from a wealthy
family had a state of the art stereo in his room and 4 test records to keep
it tuned to perfection, he didn't much like music but he was interested in
the technology. I got to play my records on it quite a bit!
Nowadays he could be into games consoles DIY PCs, and so forth and probably
find some technology which he liked for its function not just its technology.
I had an Agfa Silette at that time but could not afford much film... The
used Leica IIIf I got when I had a proper job cost 35% of my annual income
when I got it :-( foreign cameras were very pricy in the UK then.
Frank