Subject: [Leica] The M9 is here! The M9 is here!
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 19:13:52 -0500

2009-12-08-18:18:31 Mark Rabiner:
> > This "M9" thing is funny.  It has a focal length multiplier of 0.75
> > compared to a nice normal M8-sized sensor.
> >
> >  -Jeff
>

> Not just a number fraction Jeff try being a working photographer with a
> crop
> factor They'll laugh you out of the room.
>
> Its bigger smoother images; its a LARGER FORMAT.
> Real estate Real estate Real estate
> More selective depth of field

I put that last little paragraph there JUST for you, Mark.  And you bit.

And I'm not trying to be mean (at least definitely not this time); I just
think it's funny.

I know all that stuff.  It's part of why I spent all that money on this
camera.  That, and I get to use the 50mm Summilux ASPH (which I really really
like) as my normal lens instead of the 35mm Summilux ASPH.  And I get to use
that 35mm as an actual wideish-angle lens again.  It's why, when I was having
to use Canon DSLRs, I really preferred the EOS-5D to the
EOS-some-2-digit-number cameras.  But, having said all that, I always think
you're too absolutist about this sensor-size thing.  The particular exact
35mm
film frame is an arbitrary historical accident when it comes to digital
cameras.  Bigger and smaller have a set of advantages and disadvantages.  I
like my old M8 a bunch better than I like my old EOS 5D, because so many
things
about them are different that sensor size doesn't have a prayer of overriding
all the other things which make me prefer a digital M.  Now that there's a
larger-sensor-size (and several other better things) digital M, that seems
even better than the M8.  But not revolutionarily, worlds better.  Just
better.  And, yes, betterer enough that I'd prefer to be using it.

 -Jeff

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] The M9 is here! The M9 is here!)