Subject: [Leica] UK police use anti-terrorism laws to stop photographers -- and so do American ones
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:21:20 -0800

Steve Unsworth offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] UK police use anti-terrorism laws to stop
photographers -- and so do American ones

> If you think that's bad, welcome to Stasi Britain...
> > <http://www.bindmans.com/index.php?id=672>

My favorite part:
"Each accredited NUJ member has a unique PIN number and photographic ID, and
the police have access to a 24 hour ?hotline? that they can call to verify
the personal details and identity of a legitimate member of the press. The
Guidelines set out that the police will recognise the holder of a valid
Press Card, issued by the UK Press Card Authority Limited, as ?a bona fide
news gatherer?."

 Greg Lorenzo responded:
>>It seems the UK is no longer a nanny state but has become a uber nanny
>>state with Elsa, she wolf of the SS, in the role of nanny.  Internal
>>papers is something found in Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union not a
>>democratic western state.<<<<

Crew,
I maybe in the UK spring time working on a new book about medical students
in training and I find this police crap rather unnerving! I really do not
need any twit melon head cop giving me a hard time in Oxford while
photographing med students dissecting a human body!

The "officer" may find himself singing soprano for the rest of his days, as
it's only a quick nick from Baritone to Soprano! ;-) :-) Hey and I know how
to do that one, having photographed it many times on calves and a couple of
unknowing males! ;-) Yeah it was all legal and in the OR! Trust me it's
QUICK! :-)

So what does one do? Apply for a "Photographer Visa" before entering the UK?
I never had this kind of "challenging incompetents even in the old Soviet
Union!"

So what we read here is that if I were spending a quiet down time strolling
the Thames across from the Parliament Buildings and I'm doing plain old
fashion happy snaps and the cops could came along they could arrest or
detain me? If this kind of garbage is kept up by pointee headed, "a lose
term... Police officers?" It sure could play hell with the tourist industry
that is already in panic state due to the economic conditions around the
world!

Maybe a couple of the Brit members and myself could set something up as a
test case. They quietly off with teles covering me while I do everything
"bad guy looking taking pictures" and see what happens. I give the cops a
hard time, I don't ever do that as you get into trouble and no pictures
usually. But in this case it might be interesting just to prove how stupid
the law is being applied by some officers who really don't know their own
regulations.

I could sue for millions and the Brit guys and myself share the spoils! :-)
You gotta love the plan? :-)

We'd all have 3 M9's, 3 new lenses to fit! :-)  See if you stick with the
old doc you'll end up "Laughing, or wearing handcuffs! And booze is the only
answer!" Not too much! :-)

A few ramblings! :-)
cheers,
the old doc! ;-)