Subject: [Leica] NYTimes.com: The Do-It-Yourself Economy
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:29:39 -0600

Also (hopefully) true Doug.
And I've already responded how my efforts with the blacksmiths have
developed positively.

Yet, I see the trend moving towards "good enough"
and away from "we need the best."

The examples in the article: stock photos and footage for a couple
dollars, voice overs for ten or thirty dollars.
Back in the day - voice overs, photos, and footage meant royalties
for the talent for the life the spot.

Part of this is because the current technology does deliver "decent"
results with far less skill and effort.
Drawing a fine line of a specific width with a rapidograph pen
required skill;
as did reading light and color temperature meters and actually
focusing a camera and knowing the DOF.
Auto white point, and auto focus in a decent P&S camera or drawing a
line in Illustrator - not so much.

There will always be those who know and care about truly professional
results.
But I think that they're a smaller group than they once were.
Four of my (once major) clients have moved design, copy writing and
photography "in house;"
where for previous decades that was all ad agency and free lance work.
There are also many more people going after the work in every market.

Again - no complaints - just the way it is (or appears to me).

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com