Subject: [Leica] (crazy messed-up subject; now oatmeal)
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 22:15:00 -0000

"Mark Rabiner" <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote
> By the way on the back of the McCann's tin is says:
> Product of Ireland
> Odlum Group
> Naas, County Kildare, Ireland
> Www.mccanns.ie

Ahh, the penny drops!! It's sold over here in Ireland as Odlums Pinhead
Oatmeal.  To be sure to be sure, I asked the chief porridge buyer and
porridge maker in the house who spends all her waking hours ensuring that I
have the necessary nutrition in my body to have a fast shutter finger which
of course means porridge in the morning - and she had never heard of McCanns
Oatmeal either.

It must be sold under the name McCanns in the US as they probably thought
correctly Odlums doesn't sound a very Irish name. I know that a somewhat
similar story applied to Irish beer. Kilkenny beer was/is sold in Canada,
but not here, even though it's brewed here. The Irish variant of Kilkenny is
Smithwicks.

Douglas
_________
Douglas Barry