Subject: [Leica] M9 Internal IR-Cut filter make the camera fragile to use?
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:17:11 -0500

Bear in mind that replacing the sensor glass on an M8 requires a board-level
replacement ($1,800) - so if this situation occurs with the M9, and you
don't catch it in-warranty, you could be in for a world of hurt.  I don't
think Leica changed any of its procurement practices.  I suspect that it
simply lacks the clean room necessary to replace the glass to Leica
cleanliness standards and can pass the massive cost of what should be a $300
repair to the end user.

Oh yeah... M9, perfect the day it was released, no teething problems,
investment for the ages, etc.  So we have red shifting, complaints about
wide-angle lenses, complaints about incomplete IR blocking, and now broken
cover glasses.  Every manufacturer of everything has problems early in the
production run.  It's unrealistic to expect that a digital camera pushed out
the door in 18 months would be any different.

And as my father said, "every car looks like a classic the year it comes
out."

Dante

Dante Stella
http://www.dantestella.com