Subject: [Leica] Leica M8 -- too fragile for the real world - or JUST OFFER SMASHING IT! :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:53:27 -0800

Frank Filippone offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M8 -- too fragile for the real world - or
don'tsweat while using it...

>I think it may also say that  your warranty is international in nature and
> that you may send it to any Leica repair facility for the same warranty
> coverage......  check it....
>
> Sounds like a communication problem... no one looked up your Warranty to
> see
> what you are entitled to.....
>
> Regardless of Ted's advice, send them a  polite note ( or preferably phone
> call) and point out your warranty, and give them a chance to do the right
> thing....
>
> If not, do as Ted suggested and hammer them.......<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Nathan  mon ami,
Of course you could use my method after complete frustration trying to get
Leica Canada to give me a new R4 replacement instead of them trying to fix
whatever the problem was with a new R4 camera they insisted could be fixed
by their service department.  So after a half dozen returns for service and
the same thing happened, once right out of the box "after repair?" it was
still malfunctioning and immediately returned.

I finally told them I was coming to Toronto on assignment and wanted a new
camera handed to me on arrival or I'd smash the useless camera to little
pieces on the front steps of the head office while the national media, wire
service and TV networks were covering the event !

I arrived and was given a big story to relax give the camera to the service
department... ( this would've been the 7th time the service department had
it to "fix!")  I was ready to "FIX" the repair department staff! "We'll take
you for lunch and when we get back all will be well!"  Everyone smiling, but
me. :-(

I reminded them what was going to happen at noon with the media being on the
front steps to watch me smash the camera if they didn't give me a
replacement.  They of course still thought I was joking.  We went for a nice
lunch and upon return there were TV cameras and stills guys and gals asking
"Hey Ted when is the smashing going to happen?"  I smiled and offered "In a
few minutes !" :-)

The Leica management people went inside I stayed out with media and waited.
A few moments later out came the head person..... "BRAND NEW CAMERA IN BOX!"
Offering it because "we look after our customers to the best of our
ability!"

Media people were all ticked off because now there wasn't going to be a
smashing. I smiled and said "Thank you very much." It appeared we, Leica and
myself parted still good friends, accept all the media folks !!

So Nathan maybe  you could round up the European media for a Leica smashing
gig on the front steps at Solms? ;-)  One never knows what can happen if
LEICA tick you off bad enough! Besides it would make a great news item! :-)
Certainly in Europe! :-)

Oh I forgot one thing... "take the lens off !"  As it's the body that needs
to be swung by the neck strap with all your strength against any concrete
part of the front entrance! :-)  Be one hell of a show! Probably make
"international world wide news story!" Man love it! ;-)

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
But you only do this after you have spoken with them politely and nicely as
well as several very polite letters.

cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Leica M8 -- too fragile for the real world - or JUST OFFER SMASHING IT! :-))