Subject: [Leica] Water resistant Leica
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:54:02 -0600

On Dec 21, 2009, at 7:50 PM, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

> The were returned $500 later with the stern admonition
> "Stop pissing on your cameras."

This would probably indicate that the M system is not the best for
the sailing work.

> We have discussed this before with the digital Leicas. To my mind
> there is
> simply no excuse for taking the simple precaution of sealing a very
> expensive camera against environmental hazards.
> It is simple common sense for a
> camera intended to be used in the field to be protected against
> environmental hazards.

In theory I agree with you. I'd love for my M's to be all sealed up.
Yet, I really have no idea what this would mean in reality;
how it would effect price, other design considerations, operability,
etc.

> Or perhaps Leica engineers imagine the cameras will
> only be used in air conditioned studios.

What's really interesting is that the one product they actually
designed from the ground up
to be used in the air conditioned studio - the S2 - is apparently
quite water resistant.

> imagine the perils of using  a similar camera in Indonesia,
> Somalia, Iran or Columbia.

What's weird about this is that Tina has certainly put her M8's
through some severe testing.
Is she just lucky? or are individual samples more susceptible than
others? who knows?
Now that my M8 is out of warranty - it certainly causes me some concern.

> Let's see now - magenta cast,
> banding, cracked IR filters, bad battery
> chargers, corner fall off, high ISO noise, no environmental sealing
> - have I
> forgotten anything? I love my film M3s (except in a marine
> environment) but

My digital M8 works like a charm (so far);
as does my battery charger;
corner problems can be expected according to the laws of physics
and are easily handled;
high ISO noise and CCD sensors also answer to scientific realities
as do CCD sensors and the recording of fine detail (IMHO -
sometimes we have to make choices - either / or).

> I think the digital Ms need a lot of work.

Certainly room for improvement.
Yet, the digital M cameras and system lenses do produce extremely
fine results
for many photographers; and under a wide range of conditions.

The digital M's will not do everything for everyone.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com