Subject: [Leica] pix RADAR GUN EFFECT! :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:10:16 -0800

Leo Wesson offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] pix

> Ted,
>
> Was a 20 nikor on a d3. I was on the other side of the glass.  I try
> not to get to close to amature sports folks when they are swinging or
> hitting things.

Hi Leo,
For "safety sake" I agree with your method when it comes to shooting it with
rookies. In my case it was a story on a couple of super hot shot players who
do their playing in profesional competition. So when they are batting that
ball it's flying about like a bullet! :-) And if and when you get hit, it
feels like you've been shot! Certainly when its one batted right at you!!!
In error of course, I suppose that's something like being hit by friendly
fire! :-)

 > Was it you that told about shooting a bouncing basketball And trying
> to freeze it in a certain place as a way to sharpen your reflexes?  I
> do that exercise anytime I shoot sports as a way of warming up the ol
> trigger finger.

No I don't think so. However before going to the Olympics or other
International sports event I get along side the Airport & ferry highway with
lots of incoming traffic and manually practice focusing on the front of
oncoming cars. Then shooting until you are stopping sharply right on the
front license plate! It does speed up your reflexes certainly clicking one
frame at a time without a motor drive.

When it was film days it cost a fair amount, but the end result of fine
tuning your reflexes was a dynamic difference from the first rolls to the
last, sort of the day before you leave. Now with digital, still manual focus
at least it doesn't have any cost.

A side bit to shooting a shoulder braced 280 or 400, it's amazing how fast
the traffic slows thinking you're doing a speed radar gun thing! :-)

ted

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] pix)
Message from leowesson at gmail.com (Leo Wesson) ([Leica] pix)