Subject: [Leica] The 400 Telyt on the Nikon D700
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 17:20:10 +0800

> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:20:57 -0500 (EST)
> From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] The 400 Telyt on the Nikon D700
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> H&ECummer wrote:
>
>> I picked up a pamphlet at the Aviary so now I can properly name the
>> birds.
>
> Crowned CRANE, not Pigeon!

Hi Doug,
Grey Crowned Crane actually - eventually I will get to know my cranes
from my pigeons. :-)
I've made the change.

>> Here's the Bali Mynah - its blue eye ring makes it easier to focus
>> the
>> eyes sharply. I used the 300 Nikkor for this picture and it shows the
>> benefit of having auto aperture stop down for increasing the depth of
>> field. And, of course, a 300mm lens has slightly more depth of field
>> than a 400mm one.
>>
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Nikkor300/BaliMynaw.jpg.html
>> http://tinyurl.com/yc4j3hz
>
> VERY nice!  and the auto aperture feature is why I suggested the 300
> Nikkor, and why adapting my 280 APO to a non-Leica body is a very
> distant second choice.

Basis my recent experience I understand and appreciate clearly your
advice about auto apertures but I am curious. With the 560 Telyt there
is no auto stopdown (like the 400) and in that case, for example, with
the last beautiful reflecting photo of the duck recently posted, did
you focus wide open and then spin the diaphram closed to increase
depth of field - or did you focus with the lens closed down? It seems
to me that Leica R lenses like the Telyt which don't have auto
apertures might be the most likely candidates for bayonet changes
since you don't have the auto aperture on Leica bodies either. Thoughts?

Cheers
Howard

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] The 400 Telyt on the Nikon D700)
Reply from simon.apekop at gmail.com (simon jessurun) ([Leica] The 400 Telyt on the Nikon D700)