Subject: [Leica] The 400 Telyt on the Nikon D700
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:36:47 +0800

Hi Luggers,
Santa came early this year and Mr. Lee at Panda camera finished the
change of bayonets ahead of schedule.  The change was complicated by
the fact that my later model Telyt has different cams than the telyt
that David Lladro used to design his special leitax bayonet which can
be installed without surgery so Mr. Lee had to perform surgery on the
leitax bayonet.

Here is the lens mounted on the camera.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Nikkor300/400TelytD700w.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/yag4r88

I marched over to the Aviary in the Hong Kong Botanical gardens
yesterday afternoon with the D700 and tripod - using only one leg
extended as a monopod - the 400 telyt and the 300 nikkor. It was sunny
and the birds were frisky and the place was crawling with
photographers most with huge autofocus lenses. One or two eyed me
suspiciously and engaged me:
"What kind of lens is that?" asked a young fellow with a Canon DSLR
and a BIG white 500 or 600 mm AF lens.
"It's a Leica 400 mm Telyt from the 1970's"
He raised an eyebrow:
"But it doesn't have auto focus?"
"No - but your autofocus wanders between leaves and birds" I said,
"while the trombone focusing on this lens can be set very precisely
and quickly."
And I slide the focus barrel back and forth.
Canon man's eyes widened. "How much?"
"About $6,000," I said.
"HK dollars?" he asked.
"Yes." I said.
"Hmmm" he said and turned away muttering.

As I said the place was crawling with photographers; here's a sample:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Nikkor300/BaliMynahPhotogsw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/ybc3dzg

I picked up a pamphlet at the Aviary so now I can properly name the
birds.

Here's a black capped Lory taken with the 400. Even at f6.3 a 400mm
lens has such a shallow depth of field that it is hard to get the
bird's eyes in focus and have the front feathers in focus.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Nikkor300/Black-Capped-Lory-400-w.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/y9oza57

Here's the Bali Mynah - its blue eye ring makes it easier to focus the
eyes sharply. I used the 300 Nikkor for this picture and it shows the
benefit of having auto aperture stop down for increasing the depth of
field. And, of course, a 300mm lens has slightly more depth of field
than a 400mm one.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Nikkor300/BaliMynaw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/yc4j3hz

I set the minimum shutter speed to 1/500 on the D700 and let auto ISO
run up to 6400. Most of these pictures were shot in the 4000 - 5000
ISO  range with the camera on Aperture Preferred. With the D700 I can
dial in the focal length and f stops of the lenses and save them for
easy future reference and quick changes so I have accurate EXIF data
and the camera works with these lenses in spot and matrix modes.

Here's the Asian Fairy Blue Bird with the 400 Telyt:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Nikkor300/AsianFairyBlueBirdw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/yk6vyye

And here is the PinonImperialPigeon taken with the 300 Nikkor -
stopped down for more depth of field.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Nikkor300/PinonImperialPigeonw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/y8o4ubs

Having now spent a few hours with the lenses and the camera the skill
and artistry of bird photographers like our own Doug Herr is readily
apparent to me.
The road ahead to my better bird photos will obviously be long but
interesting.

C &C welcome as always,

Cheers

Howard