Subject: [Leica] M9 Internal IR-Cut filter make the camera fragile to use?
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:52:39 -0500

Frank:

On the other hand, Nikon didn't go the EOS route - and on its latest pro
DSLRs, it allowed profiling for maximum lens aperture for any AI lens and
focus-detection offsets for any lens.  Nikon doesn't require a proprietary
Nikon chip in the lens to function.  That's the counterpoint.  And it exudes
confidence: you can have this feature if you want, and you can use your
ratty old Vivitar lenses, but we know that in the end, you'll be back to buy
an AF-s ED Nikkor with a big aperture and a gold ring on it.  Get people in
the door and then keep the purchase stream moving.

You talk of moral obligations.  Fair enough.  There are no such obligations
to support other people's products.*  But Leica needs to "bust a gut" (as
you say) to sell bodies just to stay in the game - any way it can.  This is
a pressure that does not exist with lenses - whose technology is
slow-moving, whose development costs are smaller, and whose production
proceeds in batches from long-stockpiled parts.  The economic reality of
digital cameras is that if you're not a volume producer, you're not going to
get good electronics or good economies of scale (witness what an S2
costs...).  The Leica M, assuming it sells a massive 20,000 a year (didn't
the M8/8.2 sell 20,000 total?),** will have .014% of the digital camera
market (140 million cameras a year, per Leica).***  You and I might like the
"exclusivity," but the reality is that it translates into high unit prices
for components, buying short runs of "end of life" electronics (c.f. the
early change in M8 chips), and being dependent on what little technology
that can be bought off-the-shelf outside the Japanese DSLR keiretsu.  Kodak
and Jenoptik do not have core competencies in making small-format, high-iso
digital cameras.  Moreover, from the user's standpoint, small production
quantities also affect the availability of independent repair options (ever
have a digital M fixed in the Fisk era at Leica USA?) and of aftermarket
accessories.   Few people would undertake to reverse-engineer the camera to
repair it or to tool up to accessorize it when the potential market ceiling
is so low.

The fixation with "lifetime" cameras is also a little misplaced in the
digital world: there is little reason to put a $500+ rangefinder mechanism
with a 50-year lifespan (rather than the functionally identical but cheaper
Japanese version) into a digital M body whose other components (like LCDs
and electronics) have much shorter expected lives.  Regardless of promises
to "support" the cameras for 20 years, digital M cameras will be
uneconomical to fix in about a quarter of that (because Leica has no ability
to repair electronics except at the board level).  Why not cut back a little
on overbuilding that adds nothing to image quality (and that currently adds
nothing to shock or water resistance) and instead put the money into sensors
and electronics (the prime determinant of results during the product's
expected lifetime)?

Regards,
Dante

* Although if you spend time working in manufacturing or wholesaling, you'll
see that competitors often buy, integrate and resell each other's products
to achieve economies of scale and cut development costs.  Before it was
bought by Ford, Jaguar bought Delco air conditioners and Hydramatic
transmissions.  Lotus bought Toyota engines. Every Japanese camera company
buys flashes from National (Panasonic).  The Nikon D3x uses a Sony chip that
Sony itself sells in its Alpha.  Leica, for its part, bought zooms from
Sigma, sourced SLR bodies from Minolta, rebrands compact digitals from
Panasonic, and still buys the 21-28mm finder from Cosina
(Voigtlander/Zeiss).

** We keep seeing the figure of 50 M9s being built a day.  Over a 200-day
work year, that's more like 10,000 annually.

*** For the first year.  We have already seen that Leica operates under the
same forces any other industry does: a demand surge for the new model
followed by a sales drawdown and price reductions to where marginal revenue
runs down to marginal cost.

NO ARCHIVE