Subject: [Leica] IMG: Shadow shot
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:10:14 -0800

Thanks to everyone who commented:  Jim, George, Bob.  And Ted, you're
absolutely right.  It's funny how when shots like this are about to
happen, I get this sense of what the shot will be, and it's just a
matter of letting instinct take over and pressing the button at the
right instant.  It's almost like I'm hitching a ride on the same force
that is arranging the picture, and somehow it moves my shutter finger to
the trigger point just as the picture elements reach their proper places.

I've had my eye on this basketball court for years.  It's in a school
playground where we often walk with our dog.  That wonderful diagonal
shadow forms in late afternoon when the sun is low (when there is a
sun--this is Seattle, after all!). I've seen the shadow many times, and
occasionally shot it, but never got anything special.  This time, two
guys were shooting hoops, and I actually had taken another picture from
much closer.  Nothing special.  Then when we were walking away, I turned
to see this picture about to form. I just racked out the zoom out to
maximum *fast* and shot as the guy jumped.

The thinking happened *after* I shot:  "Aw, crap, I was too far away,
did I have the exposure set right, blah blah blah." But by then the
picture was already in the camera.  :-)

--Peter