Subject: [Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ or pay taxes on it
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:07:46 -0500

Says Reuters: "Although bonus first-year depreciation has been extended a
number of times, another lease on life for this tax break may not be in the
cards."

Which means it's time to make some business purchases over here at Studio
Cassidy. Has anybody else been considering this? What I'd like y'alls advice
on -- bang-for-the-buck recommendation is:

* Some sort of Leica-like camera system -- I yearn for the days when my
whole kit fit in a small bag. I'd coveted an R-D1 for a while but I think
the micro 4:3's have killed that desire.

   My thoughts now are:

      Lumix GF1 w/ the pancake lens:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/ ($1000)

      Canon Powershot G11: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/ ($600)

      Leica X1: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/LeicaX1/ (~$1000)

I'm also considering choosing from:

* Upgrading my 85 1.8 and 50 1.8 to the 1.4 versions.  (about $1300 if I
keep the old ones -- $900 if I sell the old ones)

* Digital storage upgrade with two 5 Terabyte mirrored drives.

* Another Leica d700 body

* Hasselblad Digital back (who am I kidding)

* Case of Laphroag for "inspiration" (who am I kidding x2)

Any thoughts?

kyle

Replies: Reply from zoeica at mac.com (Chris Williams) ([Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ or pay taxes on it)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ or pay taxes on it)