Subject: [Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ or pay taxes on it
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 21:50:56 -0500

> 2009-12-27-20:57:47 Kyle Cassidy:
>> Jeff Moore sez:
>>
>>> So pony up for a damn' M9.  It's a very good camera.
>>
>> I'm sure it is -- but bang-for-the buck, I could get two more d700's with
>> 50 1.2 and 35 1.4 and never have to change lenses again, or I could get
>> seven
>> GF-1's and a case of scotch and leave a camera in a taxi every couple of
>> months for yucks..... if it were $3,000 I'd think about it, but I'd have
>> put it on a scale with a D3. Right now I'd have to put it on a scale with
>> D3 and a week in Cairo.....
>
> Right, but weren't you looking for something you wouldn't get scoliosis
> and a
> hump from dragging around with you?  The M9 is stupid expensive compared to
> giant SLRs which can produce picture quality in around the same
> neighborhood...  but, I dunno, I bet it's less than that Hasselblad digital
> back.  And it's totally portable.  And... it WORKS.  And a D3 weighs 65
> pounds
> and is as big as two severed heads in a duffel bag, which seems not to meet
> the criteria you set out in your original email.
>
>  -Jeff M

Less stupid if you happen to have a solid investment already in cutting edge
Leica M glass. That gets you saving up for the M9.
And wanting to waste less money on terrifically above average Nikon/ Canon
glass.

As those people who keep adding on to their commitment to those glass lines
end up thinking nothing of zooming in on making one of those high end Nikon/
Canon super  cameras a reality and those puppies cost seven grand as well.

Mark William Rabiner