Subject: [Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ or pay taxes on it
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 21:27:34 -0500

2009-12-27-20:57:47 Kyle Cassidy:
> Jeff Moore sez:
>
> >So pony up for a damn' M9.  It's a very good camera.
>
> I'm sure it is -- but bang-for-the buck, I could get two more d700's with
> a 50 1.2 and 35 1.4 and never have to change lenses again, or I could get
> seven GF-1's and a case of scotch and leave a camera in a taxi every
> couple of months for yucks..... if it were $3,000 I'd think about it, but
> I'd have to put it on a scale with a D3. Right now I'd have to put it on a
> scale with a D3 and a week in Cairo.....

Right, but weren't you looking for something you wouldn't get scoliosis and a
hump from dragging around with you?  The M9 is stupid expensive compared to
giant SLRs which can produce picture quality in around the same
neighborhood...  but, I dunno, I bet it's less than that Hasselblad digital
back.  And it's totally portable.  And... it WORKS.  And a D3 weighs 65
pounds
and is as big as two severed heads in a duffel bag, which seems not to meet
the criteria you set out in your original email.

 -Jeff M

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ or pay taxes on it)