Subject: [Leica] Lumix GF-1 ISO comparison to Canon G9 and Leica M8
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 22:16:13 -0500

I just checked this book out on Amazon, Mark, and thanks for the pointer. I
discovered in reading the quoted reviews that Washington crossed the
Delaware in order to attack the Hessian garrison in Trenton, which he
defeated, capturing a lot of Hessian mercenaries. Among the Hessians was a
regiment commanded by Colonel Johann Rall.

I hadn't known all this, but it got my attention. My family's oral history
maintains that our first Ritter ancestor to come over from Germany to the
New World was a Georg Ritter, who was...a Hessian mercenary soldier who
fought for the English in the Revolutionary War...under the command of a
"Colonel Roll"...and was taken prisoner by Washington! Released after the
war, he decided he wasn't about to go back to Germany only to resume
fighting for some duke. He stayed in the New World, settling in Bucks
County, PA, where my ancestors all lived until my father moved west
(Wisconsin) in 1952. All of a sudden the family legend looks actually
credible.

I'm going to have to look into this!

?howard