Subject: [Leica] Lumix GF-1 ISO comparison to Canon G9 and Leica M8
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:35:08 -0500

> Just uploaded to the Gallery and added to the Lumix ISO folder,
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/
>
> a set of photos made at different ISOs with the G9 and the M8. Viewed at
> maximum size, the noise and resolution appear ordered as one would expect
> given the sensor sizes: M8 best, ISO-for-ISO, then Lumix, then G9. For
> example, the M8 at 2500 looks comparable to the Lumix at 1600 and the G9
> between 800 and 1600. I would have expected less difference between the
> Pana
> and the Leica and more between it and the Canon. Interestingly, the Canon
> has
> by far the least color noise of the three at ISOs high enough for noise to
> become prominent. Its problem seems mostly to be luminance noise, if I
> understand it correctly, with splotchiness and loss of resolution. Or it
> seems
> to have low-spatial-frequency color noise, with large swathes of color
> shifts
> in areas of smooth color and no detail, whereas the others have
> high-frequency, grainy color noise.
>
> Variations among the shots are due to the M8's different frame proportions
> and
> different FOV (no 28mm lens, which would have been closest to the Lumix's),
> different WBs, differing intensity and color of illumination from the
> windows
> behind me, as well of course as different sensors/electronics/algorithms.
>
> Just for yucks I'll add some examples from the D700.
>
> ?howard

The D700  iso 3200 results looks like the iso 800 results I get now with my
D200.
Certainly a case to be made at this point in time for no flash.

Wow Chaucer!
Looking at your books I'd strongly recommend " Washington's crossing By
David Hackett Fischer.
You can't put it down! Like Rosemary's Baby!
Driving though New Jersey will never be the same!

Mark William Rabiner

As does the 6400 iso stuff.

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] Lumix GF-1 ISO comparison to Canon G9 and Leica M8)