Subject: [Leica] Odd digital M flash behavior
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 13:08:27 -0500

> Mark -
>
> Actually, I've been there and done that - the SB-800 is great but it (1)
> has
> less power than a Metz 54 and (2) tends underexpose a little in A mode.
> But
> it's a valid solution and one that I may revisit due to the smaller
> opportunity for weird preflash stuff.
>
> I completely agree with the rest  - bouncing up and downlighting at high
> power
> is the way to go because it looks like an overhead light and tends to put
> the
> shadows in places where they are not offensive.  And for a well-composed
> shot,
> it's always preferable (at least to me) to have more things in focus.
>
> Does anyone know if the M8/M9 synch circuit can handle a Vivitar 283, old
> style?
>
> Best New Years!
> Dante

Shooting digital with flash is both more appealing and less necessary.
More appealing because of the lack of having to shoot rolls in advance to
test what's going on if you're doing anything at all funny; like bounce
flash. Like the workflo we'd always done with film.
With digital you're getting continual feedback so you become fearless and
try anything on the spot. And now you're going to get the shot after a
little feedback; one or two tries. Then you are in the groove.

But its less necessary because as seen in Howard Ritters tests the ISO's
usable now are astronomical.
Though not with cropped format cameras. The M8. My D200.
And not with super cameras. The M9. The D3X.

I'd said repeatedly I feel strongly the M9s is in the wings.
The M9 non super camera.
But M9 as is was needed to come out first.

Leica could not maintain brand with a camera first out with a lower price
and file size specs than existing super cameras from Canon and Nikon being
widely used. "the low priced Leica option" was not a marketing option with
the 5 grand glass to put in front of it.
But the  main specs which are to be addresses very soon are the high ISO's.
Not high file size.
And can also come from a camera which does not cost 7 grand but perhaps
quite a  bit less. They'll charge 6.
This will really be the camera which captures the imagination of street
shooters and PJ's in 2010.
Perhaps 2010-20.
The ones who came come up with 6; and have not traded their cache of Leica
glass in on Ebay for Tupperware.

Mark William Rabiner