Subject: [Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ - now 'only the best'
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:15:21 -0500

Jayanand wrote:

Mark,
Have you factored in inflation? The investment return is far less than
what you think.

Better than 0, as in zero! We don't "invest" in our gear, the return on
classical Leitz/Leica cameras and lenses is merely a pleasant by-product of
a decision to buy and use the best.

Reminds me of the tale Lucius Beebe tells in his book "The Twentieth Century
Limited" the New York Central Railroad's crack train that connected New York
and Chicago for more than the first half of the - ta-da! - 20th Century. It
was an all-room Pullman train and the dining car food and service was at
such a level that rich
folks booked drawing rooms and rode the "Century" from New York City to
Albany just to enjoy dinner in the dning car, then took the night train back
down the Hudson to NYC. Beebe interviewed the great writer, designer and
theater impresario, Merle Armitage, who traveled constantly between New York
and Chicago and who said that he regarded the Century as his 'gentlemen's
club' between the two cities. When Beebe asked him why he so liked the
Century he answered ' Mr. Beebe, I want very little in life, only the best,
and there's very little of that!'

S.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ - now 'only the best')