Subject: [Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ - now 'only the best'
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:40:40 -0500

> Jayanand wrote:
>
> Mark,
> Have you factored in inflation? The investment return is far less than
> what you think.
>
> Better than 0, as in zero! We don't "invest" in our gear, the return on
> classical Leitz/Leica cameras and lenses is merely a pleasant by-product of
> a decision to buy and use the best.
>
> Reminds me of the tale Lucius Beebe tells in his book "The Twentieth
> Century
> Limited" the New York Central Railroad's crack train that connected New
> York
> and Chicago for more than the first half of the - ta-da! - 20th Century. It
> was an all-room Pullman train and the dining car food and service was at
> such a level that rich
> folks booked drawing rooms and rode the "Century" from New York City to
> Albany just to enjoy dinner in the dning car, then took the night train
> back
> down the Hudson to NYC. Beebe interviewed the great writer, designer and
> theater impresario, Merle Armitage, who traveled constantly between New
> York
> and Chicago and who said that he regarded the Century as his 'gentlemen's
> club' between the two cities. When Beebe asked him why he so liked the
> Century he answered ' Mr. Beebe, I want very little in life, only the best,
> and there's very little of that!'
>
> S.

And exactly the case in my case. What my gear is worth in dollars  down the
line does not effect me as I tend not to sell my stuff ever. I'm not a
trader. Not a buyer seller. Not a wheeler dealer. I have every Leica lens
I've ever bought even tough at this point they may be in mild hibernation.
They will return.
The M9 is here. And I didn't get into Leica M so I can save money on third
party lenses.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ - now 'only the best')