Subject: [Leica] Skateboard park
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:12:19 -0700

In California, at least, most skateboard parks owned/operated by
municipalities are "self-insured", that is the city cannot afford the
insurance premium associated with operating the facility so, often,
cities band together to provide liability protection. I have no idea
how things work in Canada.

But no one is keeping kids of skateboards because they don't have
safety gear. They can skate on the streets, sidewalks, etc without any
gear at all, but they cannot use the skateboard facility unless they
do.

Bike helmets are required in our town for everyone below age 18. I
think it's pretty widely adopted. I wish more parents wore them as
well. I never, ever, ride my bike without a helmet. It has nothing to
do with cars and traffic and everything to do with what happens when a
person going very slowly topples sideways and their head is whipped
into the ground. Given my notorious klutziness I need all the
protection I can get!

I'd be all in favor of letting motorcyclists ride bare-headed, as long
as they are required to post a bond covering their life-long medical
care in the event they go down and become rather closer to a vegetable
than they already are. I don't feel I should be required to pick up
their long-term care.

 Much of this has to do with the very high cost of health care, the
number of uninsured people, and a general sense of entitledness that
seems to run rampant (sigh).

I'm sure other nations have equally goofy things or worse.

Adam

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] Skateboard park)