Subject: [Leica] IMG: Afghanistan follow-up
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:13:52 -0500

> Thanks for this, I recently saw an exhibition of images of a guy who had
> travelled all over Afganistan. For "artistic" reasons, he did all his work
> on pin hole roll film cameras. What a shame was all I could think (and for
> once Helen agreed) that these simply wonderful images that the world
> should see are blurred OOF representations when a simple M would have
> brought home the bacon.
>
> There is good pin hole work, don't get me wrong, but taking crappy
> pictures because the country was "crappy" (his concept was more that the
> images required "luck" as did much of life in the country) seemed a sad
> waste of a wonderful adventurous journey.
>
> Each to his own
>
> Cheers
>
> Alastair

Or instead of "crappy'   country - technique he had a huge RESPECT for it so
he used what he felt to be and many would a agree a SUPERIOR technique to
those who would shoot tiny chunks of 24x36mm film hand held on not
particularly high rez film to be developed in a Kiosk in a parking lot.

Pin hole photography is easy to underestimate.*
And this is large format. Tripod work.

*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_camera

Mark William Rabiner