Subject: [Leica] No photography in Museum
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 21:20:58 -0600

> And maybe they are know-nothing knee jerk idiots who don't know
> diddly
> . . .  but I sorta doubt that. I imagine there is real science
> involved although I might be unpleasantly surprised.

Ever hung an exhibit in a gallery with a western exposure?  We hung a
show in a "sky gallery" here once, on the 25th floor of a bank, and
made the mistake of hanging color prints on some of the west-facing
walls where they caught the evening sun.  When we took the exhibit
down three weeks later, all of those prints were beyond saving.  The
B&W's were a bit tinged, but basically OK.

Couple years ago there was a History of Photography exhibit at the
Amon Carter in Fort Worth.  One of the exhibits was a calotype from
around 1845; it was in a sealed frame with very heavy curtains in
front of it.  To look, you opened the curtains and stuck your head
inside; you only got a few seconds to look before the docent standing
inches away tapped you ever so politely on the shoulder and then
closed the curtains.  The print had faded so far that it was about
half imagined, and it was far from stable.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee at rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                           voice/fax   713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900                   cell phone #  on request

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] No photography in Museum)
Message from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] No photography in Museum)
Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] No photography in Museum)