Subject: [Leica] No photography in Museum
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 21:33:32 -0600

Quoth the Ric Carter :

> this argument would seem to apply to the state history and natural
> sciences museums as much as to the state art museum.

Yup.  And, at least where I am, the rules are the same.  I went to
see the Amazon exhibit in the Natural Science museum yesterday, and
was told the exact same thing - you can shoot the permanent exhibits,
but no tripod, no flash, personal use only.  No cameras or cell
phones permitted in the travelling exhibits.  I got to go in without
checking my bag (though I did have to strap it shut) only because the
guard at the front of the exhibit knew me from a story last year and
knew I'd follow the rules. Everyone else checked cameras at the door.
 (The fact that the cameras said "Leica" on them probably had
something to do with it; the guard didn't want to be responsible for
them....)

> their rules are nearly as paranoid
>
> maybe the art museum just has lawyers who are bigger prigs

Well, they do have to deal with artists, as well as <i>artistes</i> --
 who can be some of the biggest pains in the ass known to man.  I've
had people at art shows refuse to be photographed with their work
(even when it's for the newspaper...) because "someone might steal
the idea."  (Sometimes it's really difficult not to point out to them
that in order for there to be a significant risk that someone would
steal their ideas, there would have to be someone who'd WANT them...)

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee at rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                           voice/fax   713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900                   cell phone #  on request

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] No photography in Museum)
Message from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] No photography in Museum)
Message from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] No photography in Museum)