Subject: [Leica] New 35mm cropped
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip F)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 02:29:42 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

you make your point exactly with the Leica 72 reference. They had the exact
same body but one had a frame mask.
Why $200? Why not $2000? There have been a few M8's out there that have come
down that far. I almost jumped on one. I have two R-D1's now but since those
are APS-c sized sensors, they are worthless paperweights I guess. Don't
count the thousands of photos I've taken with them using my Leica lenses
(and other M39 glass too) nor the ability I have to shoot almost silently,
unhindered by all the SLR menus and dinky popup flash and whatnot. I lusted
after an M8 and still do. Now I lust after an M9 but instead of complaining
about the lack of acreage on my "half frame" sensors I take photos with
them. If I want "full frame" then I shoot film. And I rarely shoot film
anymore, unfortunately.
After all is said & done and the images are presented as 8x12 prints, I will
bet you a Voigtlander 50mm f/1.1 that you can't tell what kind of camera nor
size of sensor takes the photo simply from judging the printed image. (I
don't have that lens to bet, but I want one, and the odds are in my favor in
this contest.)
Don't tell Tina Manly her gorgeous shots from her M8's have all been
superseded, she'll have to travel all over the world again to reproduce them
with an M9! The horror!
To say that the M8 line is an quirk in Leica history is hogwash. It's a
quality tool and is used to amazing effect by those who embrace its
capabilities and limitations.

Round and round we go...
ad nauseum...

Happy shooting!