Subject: [Leica] New 35mm cropped
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:37:48 -0600

These days I find it extraordinarily difficult to differentiate
between fact and opinion as almost everyone
begins their statement with,
"The truth is ?"
or
"The fact is ?"
and proceed to express what sure sounds like a belief or an opinion
to me.

In my opinion:
art directors (AD) (usually working with talent for commercial clients)
will generally hire photographers working with medium format equipment
(because they're working on campaigns requiring files which will stun
at up to billboard sizes).
However, they will also work with talent using holgas and iPhones if
the concept demands it.

editors (usually working with publications, newspapers, magazines, etc.)
will hire photographers who have the experience to deliver the story
(whatever gear they're using)
and of course will edit and publish non-professional phone-photographs
if the phone has captured the moment they need.

in both cases the quality of the image will determine how seriously
the photographer (or photograph) is taken.

and, of course, now that so called full frame sensor cameras can be
purchased for so little,
photographers, editors, and art directors will lean toward expecting
larger (sensor) files.

however, and additionally,
as photographers,
we still have to consider the importance of:
ergonomics,
size,
weight,
lens choices,
style of shooting,
etc
to achieve images which AD's, clients, gallery reps and/or editors
will respond to.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com