Subject: [Leica] New 35mm cropped
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:13:53 -0500

George Lottermoser wrote:

These days I find it extraordinarily difficult to differentiate
between fact and opinion as almost everyone
begins their statement with,
"The truth is
"
or
"The fact is
"
and proceed to express what sure sounds like a belief or an opinion
to me.
<<<

And the internet is riddled with these 'facts' and 'truths'.

Here's what I've found:

1) Alamy's technical Quality Control (QC) has accepted every one of the
wildlife photos I've uploaded, despite being made with a camera that has a
sensor smaller than the M8's sensor and lenses that have no Vibration
Reduction (VR) or Image Stabilization (IS).

This observation does not make a crop sensor "too small" or "perfectly
good", nor does this observation make VR or IS either "over-rated" or
"essential".  What it means is that in the specific circumstances I was
working in, the smaller sensor and lack of electromechanical camera
vibration control do not prevent my photos from passing Alamy's QC.

2) The gallery owners I've shown prints to like the photos made with this
same cropped-sensor camera lacking VR and IS.  They don't say "the sensor
was too small", they say "the detail and color in these prints is amazing".
They invariably ask what camera I'm using and a big grin comes over their
faces when I tell them.

This observation does not mean other cameras cannot provoke the same
reaction.  What it means is that the cropped sensor and lack of IS or VR
technology does not prevent prints of this quality.  YMMV.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web