Subject: [Leica] New 35mm cropped
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:39:01 -0500

> sounds like you're talking the talk Mark, but you sure are walking the
> walk...
>
> I apologize for asking..
>
> yet it comes back to the same thing, the size of the sensor is not
> everything...
>
> a great picture is a great picture, whatever sensor it comes from,
>

> Steve

Yes and the art directors had gotten it in their little brains that a
certain job is a Hasselblad job or a Sinar job; or more like medium or large
format job and not so much any brand name.
And if you say "I'm a great photographer you've said you like my work I'm
shooting 35" they're going to thank you very much and go with somebody who
has the camera with the format they want. Or you could rent one if you lived
in a place like NY.
The reason why they think that is because they're right. And they see the
results over and over again.
A larger image area is for more important than how great your glass is or
the tolerances in your  transport mechanism. And this relates directly to
digital as it turns out though for reasons which need to be looked at. They
just don't want to hear your going to shoot it with a cropped camera. Even
with a red dot on it. Even if it cost you several grand. They just want it
full frame. Or maybe they want it medium format digital.

I think the problem on the LUG is people feel like since they spent so much
money on their M8 it should be good to go with anything in the mainstream.
The feeling would be It cost as much as a 5D it should be as good.
It was partly true with  the camera came out three and a half years ago in
September 2006 33% of the stuff shot then was still cropped format. Now its
3%. If that.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] New 35mm cropped)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] New 35mm cropped)