Subject: [Leica] Farther OT: cinnamon
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:35:48 -0500

2010-01-14-19:26:29 Mark Rabiner:
> I love Rice pudding about the same as I love Flan. A lot.
> Its why I have cinnamon in the house.

Ahh, cinnamon.  I love cinnamon.  Kathryn loves cinnamon.  Kathryn
found out about a year or two ago that she's allergic to cinnamon.
She's very very sad about that.  And you wouldn't believe how much
stuff has cinnamon it it -- not just notionally cinnamon-flavored
things.  Most commercial mint flavorings (as in toothpaste and other
stuff) include some cinnamon.  Most brands of gin.  "Refreshing" soaps
and lotions (they add cinnamon for a little cool tingle).  All sorts
of tasty recipes and common culinary multi-spice premixes.  I now
stick a strip of orange gaffer's tape on products containing the
c-word.

It took about two years of frustration and research with multiple
dentists and oral surgeons and allergists to figure out that a
cinnamon allergy was the major culprit in that terrible splotchy red
gum irritation.  Nobody here had heard of it, but we found a paper
someone in the UK had written on cinnamon allergies.

Cinnamon gone: gums better, with the bonus of some heartburn going
away!  But the sadness of cinnamonlessness remains.  I try only to
make cinnamon toast when she's away, and open the windows afterward so
as not to leave a delicious-smelling taunt in the air.

Remember when nobody had heard of peanut allergies?  I wonder if
cinnamon is the next big thing.

 -Jeff

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] [OT] rice)