Subject: [Leica] GF-1 getting trashed on Wired.com
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:17:05 +0000

Hi Jan,
I am not sure why the digital medium may be considered a route to producing
smaller cameras. I am mega-impressed by how small the M9 is, and suspect
speed and battery life may have been sacrificed to make it so much smaller
than a Nikon D3x, for example. The processing power in a fast high pixel
count camera would have needed a box the size of a suitcase 5 years ago, and
a mains power supply. A film camera only needs a hole for the film and a
simple advance mechanism. I had expected digital cameras to still be vastly
bigger than film cameras, these people are doing a brilliant job, probably
since the sales volume funds the research :-)