Subject: [Leica] M8 / Digi-Cameras and dust
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:00:15 -0800

I took the M8 on a recent 3 week trip.  Within a few days the sensor was
pretty dirty... and of course, I did not bring any cleaning stuff ( my first
digi-camera, so what did I know?).

Bottom line is a lot of images that need to be cleaned, if possible....

Is this typical of digital cameras and the M8 in particular?

Yes, I changed lenses a lot.....
The environment was mostly dampish.... not dusty like a desert....

Question... I do not need any gizmos to see the dust, it is pretty obvious
on the sensor.....   Should I send it to Leica USA for a $75 sensor
cleaning, then keep it clean myself or just clean it myself and learn from
that experience and continue forward with cleaning it myself from now on?

How often do you clean your sensor ( Leica or otherwise...)?  Is it a daily
routine?  ( yes, I realize that dusty = more often, not used = less
often).....

Lastly.. how do you minimize dust with Digi-cameras?  Not changing lenses
comes to mind.... but then I have a very expensive P+S.....
Use only the Tri-Elmar?  ( which while not fast, does give me "3 lenses"
without a change)?

For those that might think I am complaining, I am not.  I need to learn this
stuff, and what better place than from those that have already solved the
problem......
I just wish I had asked before my trip.....

Thanks.....

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] M8 / Digi-Cameras and dust)