Subject: [Leica] M8 / Digi-Cameras and dust
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:59:40 -0500

On Jan 26, 2010, at 1:00 AM, Frank Filippone wrote:

> Question... I do not need any gizmos to see the dust, it is pretty obvious
> on the sensor.....   Should I send it to Leica USA for a $75 sensor
> cleaning, then keep it clean myself or just clean it myself and learn from
> that experience and continue forward with cleaning it myself from now on?

clean it yourself mostly

don't use compressed air to blow off the sensor--imagine that propellant
that occasionally escapes getting on the sensor

i use dry brush that is charged by blowing compressed air across bristles
(D-SLR Brush) using single draw across half the sensor--then second on other
half

My dealer (Southeastern Camera) does wet cleanings for life --bet yours
would too
--nothing stubborn enough yet to require wet cleaning--

> How often do you clean your sensor ( Leica or otherwise...)?  Is it a daily
> routine?  ( yes, I realize that dusty = more often, not used = less
> often).....

I try to remember to clean about once a week

ric